In New Mexico, you are not required to have boat insurance, but it is always recommended. There are as many laws regulating the waters and traffic on the water in New Mexico as there are for New Mexico roads.
At Franklin Insurance Agency, we want Rio Rancho, NM residents to feel secure and protected when they are boating. Know the laws before you hit the water, and you will have safer adventures.
New Mexico Boat Insurance
New Mexico boat insurance is similar to New Mexico auto insurance, in that it offers similar coverage. You can purchase:
• Bodily Injury Liability – Covers injuries to third parties
• Property Damage Liability – Covers damages to property that is not yours
• Physical Damage – Covers damages to property that is yours
• Property Coverage – Contents of your boat
• Towing Coverage – When your boat needs to be removed
• Comprehensive Coverage – Coverage for damage not caused by collision
• Pollution Liability – Coverage when you are at fault for fuel spills
• Uninsured Boater Coverage
Your boat must be registered with a Certificate of Number and titled in order to operate it legally in New Mexico. If your boat is from another country, owned by the United States Government or state of New Mexico, or documented by the Coast Guard, you do not need that information.
Avoid Reckless Boating
Avoid reckless boating in New Mexico, as there are heavy fines and penalties for failure to do so. Boating violations are enforced by the New Mexico State Parks Division, the county sheriff, State Police, and the Coast Guard on federal waters. They have the authority to stop your boat at any time to ensure federal and state compliance.
It is illegal to:
• Create or jump dangerous wakes
• Anchor less than 150 feet from a dock
• Chase or harass wildlife
• Boat in restricted areas
• Fish from a boat driving within 150 feet of a marina, ramp, or dock
• Operate under the influence of drugs or alcohol
Get a Quote
Boating is a dangerous activity, but there is protection. When you want to get boat insurance in New Mexico, be sure that you have the coverage you need for every possible risk. At Franklin Insurance Agency, we want Rio Rancho, NM residents to be protected. Call us for a quote today.