Even though New Mexico can seem vast, driving through the state is reasonably straightforward. You have the Sandia Mountains which stand as a landmark to help you navigate the countryside, and both I-40 and 25 provide access to large parts of the state, and they go through right through Albuquerque. In addition to this, while public transit options are available in some areas, they’re not the most developed in the country.
So, with all the driving to be done in New Mexico, it’s vital that you understand the state requirements and car insurance options. If you already have questions, you can start by calling Franklin Insurance Agency to get a free quote and have all your questions answered.
Insuring Your Car in New Mexico
Here are the minimum required insurance coverage options in New Mexico:
- Bodily Injury Liability of $50,000 per accident and $25,000 per death or injury per person.
- Property damage liability of $10,000 per accident.
Uninsured Motorist coverage if not rejected requires:
- Uninsured motorist bodily injury of $50,000 per accident or $25,000 per death or injured person.
- Uninsured motorist property damage of $10,000 per accident.
If you’re wondering if you need uninsured motorist coverage, Franklin Insurance Agency can help you answer that question. It’s thought that as many as one in four drivers are driving without insurance. This means carrying uninsured motorist coverage can more than likely help to protect you.
With that being said, New Mexico law does allow you to reject uninsured motorist coverage. If you’re interested and would like more information about uninsured motorist coverage, please feel free to contact Franklin Insurance Agency.
In addition to the minimum requirements, there are many options drivers may want to consider to protect themselves further.
Some of these additional options include:
- Comprehensive Coverage: Having comprehensive coverage will cover damage done to your car in the case of non-traffic related incidents. For instance, fire or water damage.
- Medical Payment Coverage: This type of coverage can help to cover any medical bills that result from an accident.
- Collision Coverage: Having collision coverage can help to pay for damage from traffic accidents.
- Towing Coverage: This type of coverage is perfect if you travel a lot or simply want the ease of knowing you can get a free tow at any time.
- As you can see, there are many options and policies needed in New Mexico. If you’re looking to change your insurance, you can get an auto quote online at Franklin Insurance Agency by using our online rating tool. Feel free to contact us at any time to discuss the various ways we help protect you and your family.